Tuesday, May 23, 2017

DIY Rustic Pet Dish Stand

Hi there! 
I tried out my basic wood-shop-from-Jr. High skills this past weekend.  After stumbling upon a few Rae Dunn pieces recently, including these pet dishes,  I quickly realized they were worthless without a raised stand to hold them.  I need a tall stand because the beast is large, and the bowls need to be displayed so that the wording will show.

 I came up dry, so I decided to use some scrap wood and make a trial frame, but it turned out cute enough to keep!

You can see the little sketch I made to try to map out a frame.  Now... I am no carpenter...this project is supposed to be rustic and old looking.  I could care less that the 45 degrees are misaligned and I even had my little lady child distress all of the pieces for me.  

For this project I used:

1- 2" x 9.25" plank 
(this was a scrap of floor joist we had left from the foyer project)
2 -8 foot 1 x 2's
finishing nails
wood glue
white latex paint
table saw 

I have a portable table saw which was perfect for this little job.  It's easy to use for beginners and lightweight.

I cut the 2 X 9 to accommodate the bowls, leaving an inch between them and an inch around the perimeter.  This came out to 16.5" long.  I then cut the 1 X 2's to make the border that holds the bowls in place.  Next, I cut the four pieces to make the cross legs and had my "helper" distress all of it with a hammer and mallet.  I stained it and began to work on assembly.

After wood-gluing the border around the top surface, I lined up the legs to mark where to cut them.  I used a nail to hold them together at the center while allowing them to move freely (imagine a pair of scissors).  My stand sits approx. 12" high.

The legs are 13" long.  After cutting the 45* angle on each leg end, I wood-glued and  gently nailed the legs into the bowl base.  I let that dry over night.  

I decided to white wash it just to soften it up a bit.  I used a damp paper towel to smear a little bit of white paint mixed with water into the wood.  The last step was to poly it using Varathane Wood Poly.  

Not so bad for a first try, my 7th grade wood shop skills are paying off.